Every once and a while, you realize you have developed a minor obsession with a food, at least I do. Lately it seems I am obsessed with rice bowls. My obsession began at Chipotle, with their burrito bowl, then continued to Panera Bread with there Quinoa Lentil Broth Bowl (okay, so it’s not a rice bowl, but it’s close). Now, today I came across a recipe that I can’t wait to try, and guess what???? It’s a RICE BOWL, woohoo!
Doesn’t that look amazing????? I can’t wait to make this! I’ll include the actual recipe, instructions and then follow with suggested modifications for those who are on my customized 30 day programs (you know who you are, and if you aren’t, we should talk).
Quinoa and Brown Rice Bowl with Vegetables and Tahini
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 head of broccoli—stems peeled and sliced into coins, heads cut into small florets
- One 12-ounce bunch kale, large stems discarded
- 1/4 cup tahini, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- In a medium saucepan, cover the brown rice with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is just tender, about 40 minutes. Drain and return the rice to the saucepan; keep covered.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the quinoa with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan and simmer over low heat until the quinoa is tender and all of the water has been absorbed, 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the carrot and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the shiitake, cover and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the zucchini, season with salt and cook, stirring a few times, until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Add the broccoli, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until deep green, 5 minutes. Add the kale, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the broccoli and kale are just tender, 4 minutes. Season with salt. Stir in the other vegetables.
- In a small bowl, whisk the tahini with the lemon juice, garlic, warm water and crushed red pepper. Season with salt.
- Transfer the brown rice and quinoa to bowls. Top with the cooked vegetables, diced avocado and bean sprouts. Serve, passing the tahini sauce at the table.
One Serving 500 cal, 22 gm fat, 2.9 gm sat fat, 69 gm carb, 10 gm fiber, 15 gm protein
*** For 30 day, customized programs, I’d omit the carrots. I’d also add a protein, either black beans, tofu or some shredded chicken.
If you make this, let me know what you think.